130 YEARS OF GFS GIPPSLAND

THE STORY BEGINS

The first branch of GFS in Gippsland was formed at SALE in 1885, just 10 years after the first branch was by Mrs Mary Elizabeth Townsend in England (1875).  This was followed by branches in STRATFORD (1886), Bairnsdale (1887), Maffra & Omeo (1888), Traralgon (1890), Foster & Yarragon (1893), Leongatha (1894) and Jumbunna (1898).

It can be established that over the 130 years branches existed in 30 parishes of the Diocese so one can only imagine just how many girls and young and older women have been part of the GFS Family in that time.

The first Gippsland GFS Council met in 1918 with Mrs Cranswick as the President.